Saturday, March 22, 2008

Friends for Life

Where would we be without our friends? Having moved every 2-3 years during my childhood (from Rhode Island to Midway Island and points in between!), I fantasized about having a "home town" and lifelong friends. I was 11 when my dad finally retired from the Navy, and we relocated from North Kingstown, Rhode Island, to Castro Valley, CA. Being the "new kid" is never easy, but I was lucky enough to be befriended by Janet and Karen in 7th grade (great friends to this day). What a treat for me to actually live in ONE place through my junior high and high school years, and even two years of college! Wouldn't you know, though, the gypsy spirit resurfaced after marrying at the age of 20, and my young family and I moved to Eureka and then San Diego before finally settling in Chico in 1981.

Certainly there are advantages to having lived in a variety of interesting locations, and I admire my parents for sharing such an adventurous spirit--imagine having six children, each born in a different state! (At least I can empathize with my clients as they relocate.) But I also cherished the opportunity to create lifelong friendships during those "more settled" teenage years. AND I'm grateful we ultimately landed in this wonderful little community, the "home town" I always dreamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave your questions of remarks here!