Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Feather Falls Hike


Bro John and I recently did the 7 mile round trip hike to the beautiful Feather Falls in Oroville (Plumas National Forest), reportedly the 6th or 7th tallest falls in the country. (Click here for a few photos taken during our hike, and here for a 14 second video.) I hadn't done this particular hike in about 20 years. It was even more beautiful (and pretty much just as strenuous) as I remembered. The weather was PERFECT, and there were happy hikers of all ages enjoying the day. Like most others, we saved our lunch to enjoy on the lookout deck, enjoying the view of the fabulous waterfall, complete with rainbow toward the bottom. Something unexpected was the proliferation of wildflowers--so many different types and colors; they were gorgeous! And something I definitely did NOT miss were the swarms of ladybugs we encountered on our last visit. (Did you know ladybugs sometimes bite?)
There is a path that leads to the top of the falls, which I understand is also lovely. I'll have to save THAT view for another trip--maybe after I've increased my hiking endurance. Hey--I hear the recently-rediscovered Whiskeytown Falls (near Redding, CA) is just a 3.4 mile round-trip hike. And you can check out the amazing Sundial Bridge while you're in the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave your questions of remarks here!