Friday, November 28, 2008

Run for Food


Because I was in Healdsburg enjoying our annual family "Thanksmas" (combination of Thanksgiving and Christmas) celebration at the lovely home of our gracious hosts sister Becky and her handsome hubby Steve (talk about FOOD!), I missed the 3rd annual "Run for Food" event held in Bidwell Park. How proud I was of our generous Chicoans when I read an online article in the Chico E-R about the success of the run! More than 2,600 runners pre-paid the $25 to $30 fee to make the five-kilometer run, and apparently about twice that number ended up participating, resulting in over $65,000 raised to help the Jesus Center in their ongoing efforts to feed those in need. Over the years, my fellow Soroptimist of Chico members and I have taken turns volunteering to serve meals at the Jesus Center, sometimes enlisting the help of our children (which I felt was a very valuable few hours spent with mine), and I have always come away feeling a renewed gratitude for my family, friends, home and the many gifts I enjoy in life. And isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about anyway? Happy holiday season to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave your questions of remarks here!