Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'll take a Spoonful!



What a great night of music! John Sebastian and David Grisman at Laxson Auditorium. Talk about a daydream! The combination of Dave Grisman's fine mandolin and banjo picking and John Sebastian's crazy-good guitar and harmonic playing was enough to make me want to go home after the show and pick up my old guitar (which is, in fact, just what I did). They paid tribute to some old "jug band" players I've never heard of, played some folk tunes (both instrumentals and featuring John's raspy -but-sweet voice). And, of course, took us all on a walk down memory lane with some of the old Lovin' Spoonful favorites ("Daydream" and "Deep Purple" among them). I couldn't resist doing the major-fan thing and buying a CD after the show, waiting in line to have them autograph it (managed not to gush, though--just a simple "thank you"). As I always say, life in Chico is the best of both worlds--small town atmosphere with opportunities to experience great talent. Thanks, CSUC and Chico Performances! (Click here for your own little stroll down "Daydream Lane" or click here for a cover of the song by young Scottish sensation Paolo Nutini -- very fun!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sorry I missed it. I had another egagement! There is always too much to do in Chico! Sure sounds like a night I would had LOVED!!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Leave your questions of remarks here!