Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Crazy Upside-down Tree Yoga

Don't know where I'VE been, but apparently the latest thing in the yoga world is "Tree Yoga." Now you too can experience the pure childish thrill of climbing and hanging from trees while enjoying your yoga practice!

I had an indoor taste of tree yoga this morning when I inadvertently attended an Iyengar yoga class at our local In Motion Fitness. (Per Wikipedia, "Iyengar Yoga is considered a powerful tool to relieve the stresses of modern-day life which in turn can help promote total physical and spiritual well-being." I knew I was in for a physical and spiritual adventure when Teacher Tom had us plug the metal ends of some wicked-looking straps into receptacles in the walls (I wondered what those holes were for!), wiggle inside said straps until our hips were firmly nestled therein, and literally climb the wall with our feet until we were dangling upside down! Talk about a rush! (I just knew I'd end up blogging about this.)

While surfing the net trying to find photos of "upside down yoga," I came across the photo and accompanying article above and thought, "Ahhhh...it's the latest yoga trend: Tree Yoga." (Too bad I didn't have any straps or other implements of torture on my latest camping trip.) I also found this humorous short you might enjoy. (I like the "Crowded Elevator" pose.) It's not often one sees comedy skits about yoga, so I thought I'd share. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that wild at In-Motion! The 1st time I tried it I was so sore the next day....But it was really cool! Glad you liked it too...so have you tried ziplining upside down? That is really awesome!! If you haven't I highly recommend it :) Jeanette

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Leave your questions of remarks here!