Saturday, August 23, 2008

Katrina & Peach Pie




"What HAVE you done with all those peaches, Laura?" many people have asked me. (Well, actually, no one has asked, but I know many of you are silently wondering.) I ate many and gave away even more. But last night when my bro John, his wife Jamie and I were on a little impromptu camping trip in the Cherry Hill campground, I started thinking (and talking) about all of those peaches rapidly ripening on my kitchen counter. Ever the chef extraordinaire, Jamie told me about her grandmother's technique of freezing the pie filling in a pie plate lined with "saran wrap" (did they really have that way back then?) and freezing it, removing the filling from the pie plate when it was frozen solid. When you need a quick dessert, simply make a (or in my case, buy one of those handy Pillsbury folded-type) pie crust, line the pie plate, pop the filling (sans plastic wrap, naturally) in, dot with butter, cover with top crust, crimp the edges (this is critical for a "finished" look), and voila! Ready to bake.

Now what does this have to do with Hurricane Katrina, you wonder? (Or maybe you don't, but I"ll tell you anyway.) While peeling and slicing all of those peaches (peelings and scraps will go right into the compost, of course!), I listened to American Routes on NPR. Based in New Orleans, this evening's radio show (produced and hosted by Nick Spitzer) focused on post-Katrina life in the "Crescent City." (Click here for a fun list of New Orleansisms.) Jazz clarinetist Dr. Michael White and vocalist/pianist Dr. John (ever notice how much he sounds like Leon Russell?--one of my all-time favorites) were featured. Great show; you can check it out by clicking here and then clicking on the Dr. John and Dr. Michael White links. (Oh, and feel free to email me at Laura@ChicoLaura.com if you want my peach pie filling recipe!) ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave your questions of remarks here!