Thursday, January 1, 2009

Polar Bear Swim



If you missed it this year, mark your calendar for next year's Annual New Year's Day Polar Bear Swim at One Mile in Bidwell Park. It's a blast! I took along my handy little Flip Videocam this year; CLICK HERE to check out the fun video (complete with pre- and post-swim interviews of the brave swimmers!). In the 26 years I've lived in Chico, I can honestly say I've never once been tempted to take the plunge. But it sure is fun to watch (as evidenced by the throngs of cheering, towel-bearing fans waiting on the other side of the pool). Hmmmm... maybe 2010? Which reminds me, do you think we'll be saying "Two Thousand Ten" or shorten it to the simpler "Twenty-Ten"?

1 comment:

  1. Well I did my own Polar Bear swim this year!! I have always wanted to do it w/ everyone in the Park, but for some reason or another it hasn't worked out. This year I was determined to make..but slept in too late from staying at a New Years Eve party too long! So the on Jan 2nd at 11:00 AM I told Earl I was going to do it in our Pool. It was 42 degrees outsdie..wasn't sure about the pool. Earl stood by w/ the camera and I dove in, did two laps.. which I felt was equal to crossing one mile pool. I was awesome..felt so great! I'm ready to make it a weekly habit at one mile just for the FUN of it...trying to round up a group crazy like me!! Anyway, for sure next year I'll be there with the group on New Years Day!!
    Jeanette :)
    PS Our pool was 42 degrees also.....brisky!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Leave your questions of remarks here!