Tuesday, May 5, 2009

CSUC Organic Veggie Project


Mission Statement for the Chico State Organic Vegetable Project: A self-sustaining education, research, and production facility for organic vegetables to support school, university, and community agriculture education, provide research information for local growers, and provide produce for the CSUC campus food services.
I hadn't heard about this project until a friend posted a link on Facebook (see how educational FB can be?). My family and I have always been fans of the U-pick peach orchard at the Chico State farm on Hegan Lane. And I have actually attended the compost workshop at Chico State (and y'all know what an advocate I am of composting--my plants & trees have NEVER looked better or been happier, with all those scraps going to nourish them rather than going to the landfill!). So I was happy to learn that CSUC students are getting this hands-on experience, learning how to grow organic veggies, providing staff and students with healthy alternatives to fast food. (Here's to the Slow Food Movement!)
Click here to view a video created by the students working on this awesome project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave your questions of remarks here!